Homelessness Down for Sixth Consecutive Year Across Scotland
June 30, 2015
Levels of homelessness recorded across Scotland fell for the sixth consecutive 12 month period over the past year, according to official figures on the subject.
The Scottish government is hailing the numbers as evidence of the effectiveness of its approach to preventing homelessness, which is based around informing people of their housing options at crucial moments.
According to the latest data, there was a 4 per cent fall in the number of Scots registering as homeless over the past year, with the rate now reckoned to be consistently falling nationwide.
Homelessness is of course a distressing circumstance for anyone and the Scottish government has introduced a service designed to inform individuals and families of their housing options when they are worried about becoming homeless but are not yet in that position.
The initiative is now providing support to thousands of people around the country on an annual basis and is credited with a significant role in reducing overall levels of Scottish homelessness.
In fact, government figures suggest that only 45 per cent of people who got in touch with advisors in reference to their housing options then went on to register as officially being homeless, with the remaining 55 per cent apparently able to avoid that scenario.
“The Housing Options service is responsible for the fall in homelessness applications and we are now able to evidence this using these new statistics,” said Scottish housing minister Margaret Burgess.
“Housing is at the heart of the Scottish government’s ambition for a fairer and more prosperous country, and preventing people from experiencing the misery of homelessness is a priority.”
In recent weeks a new Empty Homes Hotline was established by the Scottish government, with the aim being to see a higher proportion of residential properties across the country being used as homes rather than standing empty.
With the help of the homelessness charity Shelter Scotland, the hotline has been set up to take calls from anyone who spots a potential home being unused for an extended period of time in their community.
There are estimated to be around 150,000 families on official waiting lists for homes of their own in Scotland, while roughly 27,000 private residential properties are believed to be unoccupied.
Your personal credit score plays an important part in securing new loans and credit, and can affect your financial life for better or worse. Lenders use the information in your credit file to determine whether you present a high risk of default, and if your credit score is low, you may find it difficult to […]
Credit unions offer a range of financial products including current accounts, savings accounts, and loans, and can be a good alternative to banks and building societies whilst also helping your cash flow. There are credit unions all around the UK, almost 100 of them operating in Scotland. They’re not always widely advertised, however, and although […]
It’s a worrying situation when you realise your outgoings exceed your income, and it can be difficult to prevent debt in this situation, but there are solid steps you can take to get back on track – you just need to act quickly. Increasing your income or reducing the money going out are essentially what […]
If you’ve lost your job, state benefits and tax credits can provide vital financial support to see you through this tough time and help you avoid taking on too much debt while you look for more work. As far as your old employment is concerned, it’s important that you check your final wage slip to […]
If you are a Scottish resident in financial difficulty, you may have entered into a Trust Deed in order to restructure debt repayments to creditors. A Trust Deed is a fixed voluntary agreement made between the debtor and creditor, with the help of a trustee. Debt is broken down into smaller, affordable instalments, typically lasting […]
A Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) is a government backed scheme which allows you to repay debt through contractual, monthly instalments without the threat of legal action and incurring penalties or interest. The scheme was established in 2004 for Scottish residents in debt, providing an alternative solution to sequestration, the Scottish equivalent of bankruptcy. A Debt […]