What should I do if a High Court Enforcement Officer contacts me?

  • John Baird -
  • 13th May 2019 -
  • 3 minutes to read

If you have been contacted by a High Court Enforcement Officer, it means that one of your creditors has been through court process to recover a debt. In Scotland, High Court Enforcement Officers are called Sheriff Officers or Messengers-at-Arms. They may also be known as Judicial Officers, and they all have power to take enforcement action against you.

You should not simply ignore contact from a Sheriff Officer or Messenger-at-Arms. You will need to come to an arrangement to pay the amount owing in full, dispute the debt, or negotiate an instalment plan. Otherwise, enforcement action will be taken against you to take control of goods to the value of the debt.

Creditor’s inability to collect their debt

A letter or visit from a Judicial Officer/High Court Enforcement Officer may not be a complete surprise as several attempts will already have been made to recover the debt in question. Judicial Officers only enter the debt collection process when a creditor has exhausted all other avenues.

This inability to collect their debt could have been due to a lack of response from you as the debtor, or an unsuccessful informal payment arrangement. Your creditor will have issued a final notice for payment before legal action.

It is essential that you take professional advice about what to do next. Contacting a licensed Insolvency Practitioner gives you access to valuable expertise which will help you make an informed decision.

By the time a High Court Enforcement Officer or Messenger-at-Arms has made contact, you should have been in receipt of paperwork from the court. You may have been refused an application for a Time to Pay arrangement, in which case the officer will contact you with regard to enforcing the court decree.

The enforcement of a court decree

In Scotland, the enforcement of debt is called ‘diligence.’ Once a court decree has been issued, the type of action(s) taken against you depends on your individual circumstances, including the type and amount of debt owed.

Enforcement action could include one or more of the following:

  • Arrestment of earnings
  • Freezing your bank account(s)
  • Arrestment of goods outside your home
  • Bankruptcy (also known as ‘sequestration’)
  • Exceptional Attachment Order of goods inside your home

A Judicial Officer/High Court Enforcement Officer will serve you with a Charge for Payment and give you a Debt Advice and Information Package. At this stage, you can still apply for a Time to Pay order if the debt is less than £25,000, but must do so or pay the debt in full within 14 days in order to avoid enforcement action.

If the debt remains unpaid, the creditor may be entitled to request more than one Arrestment Order, but an Exceptional Attachment Order for goods inside your home is generally only granted once other avenues have failed.

Seeking the services of a licensed Insolvency Practitioner is key to successful negotiations when your debt situation reaches a serious level such as this. Judicial Officers in Scotland, and High Court Enforcement Officers in England and Wales, have to follow a precise code of conduct and adhere to strict court regulations when serving writs and citations, and carrying out diligence procedures.

Scotland Debt Solutions can provide professional advice to guide you through this complex process.

John Baird
John Baird

Why Choose Us

Speak Direct With
Speak Direct With
A Qualified Adviser
We Dont Operate
We Dont Operate
Call Centres
5 Offices in Scotland
5 Offices in Scotland
National Coverage
Ask us About
Ask us About
We Do Home Visits
Fully Regulated Advisors
Fully Regulated Advisors
From a Reputable Firm
Helping Scots Get
Helping Scots Get
Out of Debt Since 1989

We'll give you a call

Our Scottish based team can help advise you on your debt problems.

When should we call?
Can we leave a message?
Here at Scotland Debt Solutions we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See our Privacy Policy.

Useful Tools

Personalised Debt Report

Personalised Debt Report

Our personalised debt report will help you better understand your financial position and see where your money is going.

Free Scheduled Call

Free Scheduled Call

 Arrange a call with an expert advisor at a time to suit you.

Find a Local Office

Find a Local Office

We have five offices located across Scotland. Find your nearest one here.

Close Menu Share with a Friend

Send this page to a friend

via Whatsapp via Messenger via Messenger via Email
Make sure you have WhatsApp installed.

Copy link to clipboard