Check If You Qualify

What happens when a creditor takes me to court in Scotland?

Sharon McDougall - Updated - 1st May 2024 - 3 minutes to read

If a creditor is taking you to court in Scotland, the initial notification will be a writ or summons. This document should include details of your creditor, the amount owed, name of the court, and what the sheriff has been requested to do.

How should I respond when faced with court action?

You need to respond by the date specified in the summons or writ, letting the court know your intentions. There are five options in this respect:

Advise the court that you owe the money, and pay the debt in full.

Agree that the debt exists, but request a time to pay direction or time to pay order. If one of these is granted, a decree will let you know how much you need to pay.

Tell the court that you owe the debt, but don’t request a time to pay direction or order – this will result in a decree being issued by the court, ordering you to repay the debt in full, plus any interest and court expenses.

Advise the court that you do not owe the debt – in this case a court hearing will be set so that both parties can put their case. The court will listen to both sides and then make their decision.

Do not respond to the writ or summons – if you do not respond at all, the court will issue a decree ordering you to pay the original debt, plus interest and the court’s expenses. Failing to pay at this stage will result in your creditor taking ‘diligence’ measures against you, but initially they have to serve a charge for payment and send you a Debt Advice and Information Package (DAIP).

A charge for payment is an order from the court to pay the sum owed. It gives you 14 days in which to pay in full, or make a payment arrangement with your creditor, otherwise they are entitled to begin diligence measures.

Scotland Debt Calculator

Get a rough indication of what your repayments might be under each of our different debt solutions.

Your Total Debt

£0 - £5,000

£5,000 - £10,000

£10,000 - £20,000


Your Employment Status

I am employed

I am self-employed

I am unemployed

I am a student

I am retired

Your Total Monthly Income

£0 - £1,000

£1,000 - £2,000

£2,000 - £3,000


What can you pay monthly towards your debt?

£0 - £100

£100 - £200

£200 - £300


What happens if you don’t pay the debt?

If you fail to pay the money, by law your creditor must send you a Debt Advice and Information Package. This will precede enforcement measures to recover the debt. Which form of diligence is used depends on various factors, including the type of debt and your own personal circumstances.

Common measures include:

This is an instruction from the court sent directly to your employer, to deduct a stated amount from your wages at source. They must inform you of the payment schedule, and it will continue until the debt is repaid.

  • Bank arrestment

This effectively freezes a specific amount of money in your bank account with a view to repaying your creditor. A minimum sum receives ‘protection’ from bank arrestment, and this is currently £460.06.

  • Attachment

A sheriff officer will ‘attach’ possessions held outside of your property to the value of the debt – garden tools, bicycles, a vehicle or motorbike, for example. You are not allowed to sell or dispose of these attached items, as they will be sold for the benefit of your creditor.

  • Inhibition

If the court grants an inhibition order, it means that you cannot sell your property or take any more loans secured against it, even if it is jointly owned. Your creditor, however, does not take control over it and is not allowed to sell it themselves.

If you need more guidance on what to do if a creditor takes you to court, contact one of our experts at Scotland Debt Solutions. We can provide you with professional advice on your legal obligations, and the likely repercussions of your actions. With five offices around Scotland, we offer a same-day appointment free of charge.

facebook colour icon twitter colour icon linkedin colour icon messenger colour icon whatsapp colour icon email colour icon
Sharon McDougall Square

Sharon McDougall


Other Articles

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed? Can I Borrow Money

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed?

Borrowing money when you’re already deeply in debt requires careful consideration, and consultation with your trustee, as there are various factors associated with further borrowing in this situatio...

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed Guide to get a mortgage

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed

If you’re about to be discharged from a Trust Deed, you may be wondering to what extent your ability to obtain a mortgage has been affected.

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland? Court Order

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland?

If you’ve lost your job, state benefits and tax credits can provide vital financial support to see you through this tough time and help you avoid taking on too much debt while you look for more work...


Why Choose Us

Usp Discussion

Speak Direct With

A Qualified Adviser


We Don't Operate

Call Centres

Usp Location

5 Offices in Scotland

National Coverage

Usp House

Ask us About

Home Visits

Usp Award

Fully Regulated Advisors

From a Reputable Firm

Usp Hand Heart

Helping Scots Get

Out of Debt Since 1989

We'll give you a call

Our Scottish based team can help advise you on your debt problems.

Here at Scotland Debt Solutions we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See our Privacy Policy.


Useful Tools

Personalised Debt Report
Usp Planner

Personalised Debt Report

Our personalised debt report will help you better understand your financial position and see where your money is going.

Debt Report
Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Arrange a call with an expert advisor at a time to suit you or contact our team via WhatsApp for immediate help and advice.

Arrange Callback
Find a Local Office
Usp Signpost

Find a Local Office

We have five offices located across Scotland. Find your nearest one here.

Find an Office


We can help you with...



Sequestration is the Scottish version of bankruptcy and may be suitable for you if you do not have the money to pay back your debts

Find out More
Trust Deeds in Scotland

Trust Deeds in Scotland

A Trust Deed involves making a monthly contribution to your debts for up to four years. After this time any remaining debt included in the Trust Deed will not need to be paid.

Find out More
Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

A Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) lets you pay off your debt through a series of manageable instalments over a reasonable length of time.

Find out More
Business Debts
Icon Briefcase

Business Debts

Whether you are a sole trader or a limited company director, we can help you work through your current financial problems including money owed to HMRC

Business Debts

Our Insolvency Practitioners are regulated by ICAS or the IPA and our firm is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Fees and Information: There are fees associated with our services. These will be fully explained before entering into any of the personal debt solutions referred to on this website. Full details of our fees and how these are charged are fully explained to you prior to you committing to any particular service.

ICAS Insolvency Practitioners