Check If You Qualify

Debts in Scotland – What is a decree?

Sharon McDougall - Updated - 8th May 2024 - 3 minutes to read

A decree is a ‘money judgment’ issued by the sheriff courts in Scotland, and is the same as a County Court Judgment (CCJ) in England and Wales. It is an order to pay the amount claimed by a creditor, and the total may include additional interest and expenses of the court.

Details of all small claims and summary cause money decrees are kept within a public register held by the Registry Trust for a period of six years, and the details updated as necessary.

The Registry Trust also notifies the credit reference agencies when a decree is issued, recalled or dismissed, so the debtor’s credit file can be amended with each agency.

What can you do to prevent a decree being issued?

If you are experiencing threats of legal action by your creditors, there are certain steps you can take to protect yourself from a money judgment being issued against you.

The obvious solution if you are not disputing the debt is to pay what is owed, but this isn’t always possible when you are experiencing financial difficulty.

Scotland Debt Calculator

Get a rough indication of what your repayments might be under each of our different debt solutions.

Your Total Debt

£0 - £5,000

£5,000 - £10,000

£10,000 - £20,000


Your Employment Status

I am employed

I am self-employed

I am unemployed

I am a student

I am retired

Your Total Monthly Income

£0 - £1,000

£1,000 - £2,000

£2,000 - £3,000


What can you pay monthly towards your debt?

£0 - £100

£100 - £200

£200 - £300


How can you receive extra time to pay when given a decree?

You are entitled to request additional time to pay the sum claimed, either by instalments or in a deferred lump sum. This can be done in writing before the court hearing, or by attending court in person to make the application.

If a time to pay direction is granted you will receive an extract decree, which is a copy of the court order detailing the timescale in which you should pay.

If the debt in question is regulated by the Consumer Credit Act, 1974, you can apply for a time order. This is similar in nature to a time to pay direction, and allows several elements of your loan to be adjusted including the repayment amount, duration of the loan, and the interest rate applied to the outstanding amount.

What happens if you ignore the court summons?

Choosing to ignore the court summons will probably result in a decree being issued against you, with the ensuing adverse effect on your credit rating.

The three main credit reference agencies will be notified, with details of the decree remaining on your credit file for six years. This makes it difficult for you to obtain credit and other forms of borrowing, and can even impact on your job in some cases.

What occurs during enforcement action by the creditor?

Failing to pay the decree and not receiving extra time to pay will mean your creditor has the right to take enforcement action. This can include a variety of measures:

Scotland Debt Solutions can help if you are facing creditor legal action. We offer a same-day meeting to discuss your situation and find the best way forward. Call one of our expert team to discuss your needs and find a solution.

facebook colour icon linkedin colour icon messenger colour icon whatsapp colour icon email colour icon
Sharon McDougall Square

Sharon McDougall


Other Articles

9 practical tips for cutting your household expenses Household Expenses

9 practical tips for cutting your household expenses

We all want to save on our household bills and have more money in our pocket for the fun things in life. While bills are an unavoidable fact of life, here are some ways you can help to reduce them:

7 Advantages of using a Debt Arrangement Scheme to become debt-free Debt free happy woman

7 Advantages of using a Debt Arrangement Scheme to become debt-free

If you’re trying to deal with overwhelming amounts of debt, you may be eligible for the Debt Arrangement Scheme in Scotland.

10 steps to take now to improve your credit rating Credit Rating

10 steps to take now to improve your credit rating

If you are currently working on reducing the amount of debt you have, improving your credit score may not be at the top of your agenda.


Why Choose Us

Usp Discussion

Speak Direct With

A Qualified Adviser


We Don't Operate

Call Centres

Usp Location

5 Offices in Scotland

National Coverage

Usp House

Ask us About

Home Visits

Usp Award

Fully Regulated Advisors

From a Reputable Firm

Usp Hand Heart

Helping Scots Get

Out of Debt Since 1989

We'll give you a call

Our Scottish based team can help advise you on your debt problems.

Here at Scotland Debt Solutions we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See our Privacy Policy.


Useful Tools

Personalised Debt Report
Usp Planner

Personalised Debt Report

Our personalised debt report will help you better understand your financial position and see where your money is going.

Debt Report
Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Arrange a call with an expert advisor at a time to suit you or contact our team via WhatsApp for immediate help and advice.

Arrange Callback
Find a Local Office
Usp Signpost

Find a Local Office

We have five offices located across Scotland. Find your nearest one here.

Find an Office


We can help you with...



Sequestration is the Scottish version of bankruptcy and may be suitable for you if you do not have the money to pay back your debts

Find out More
Trust Deeds in Scotland

Trust Deeds in Scotland

A Trust Deed involves making a monthly contribution to your debts for up to four years. After this time any remaining debt included in the Trust Deed will not need to be paid.

Find out More
Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

A Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) lets you pay off your debt through a series of manageable instalments over a reasonable length of time.

Find out More
Business Debts
Icon Briefcase

Business Debts

Whether you are a sole trader or a limited company director, we can help you work through your current financial problems including money owed to HMRC

Business Debts

Our Insolvency Practitioners are regulated by ICAS or the IPA and our firm is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Fees and Information: There are fees associated with our services. These will be fully explained before entering into any of the personal debt solutions referred to on this website. Full details of our fees and how these are charged are fully explained to you prior to you committing to any particular service.

ICAS Insolvency Practitioners