Check If You Qualify

I’ve received a Simple Procedure Notice of Claim – what now?

Sharon McDougall - Updated - 2nd May 2024 - 2 minutes to read

If you owe a debt of £5,000 or less, your creditor may send you a Simple Procedure Notice of Claim. This is a relatively new procedure that was brought in by the Scottish government and commenced on 28th November 2016 – their intention being to make it easier to resolve debt disputes.

So if you’ve received a notice of claim, what do you do now?

How to respond to a Simple Procedure Notice of Claim?

You should have received a number of other forms, along with the notice of claim. These can include a copy of the claim form completed by your creditor, a timetable, a Time to Pay application, and a blank Response Form.

Initially, you need to make sure all the documents are included, and then read through the information to find out who is making the claim and the amount of debt they say you owe them. In particular, it’s important to take careful note of the date by which your response should be made.

Scotland Debt Calculator

Get a rough indication of what your repayments might be under each of our different debt solutions.

Your Total Debt

£0 - £5,000

£5,000 - £10,000

£10,000 - £20,000


Your Employment Status

I am employed

I am self-employed

I am unemployed

I am a student

I am retired

Your Total Monthly Income

£0 - £1,000

£1,000 - £2,000

£2,000 - £3,000


What can you pay monthly towards your debt?

£0 - £100

£100 - £200

£200 - £300


What options do you have?

You have three options to act before the final response date:

  • Pay the claim

You need to let the court know that you agree the claim, and will settle before the final response date.

  • Request extra time to pay

You can complete the Time to Pay application and return it with the Response Form. It’s also possible to hand the application to a court officer during a hearing, a case management discussion, or even after a decision on the debt has been made.

  • Dispute the debt

If you dispute the debt, the court can order one of the following:

  • Alternative dispute resolution, or mediation
  • A case management discussion
  • A court hearing (the court may also indicate that the sheriff can reach a decision without a hearing)
  • Dismissal of the claim

If you don’t return the Response Form the court is likely to act in favour of your creditor, demanding the payment in full with additional interest and expenses.

It’s important to include as much information as possible about the debt and your financial situation if you do respond, so the court can make a decision based on their understanding of the facts.

What is the process for making a Time to Pay application?

If you make a Time to Pay application, the claimant must respond within two weeks. If they object, a court hearing will be arranged where you or a representative can present your case.

The court will then make a decision on whether your application for extra time to pay the debt will be granted.

It’s advisable to seek professional assistance if you’ve received a Simple Procedure Notice of Claim. This ensures you take action appropriate to your circumstances, and benefit from a better understanding of your options.

Scotland Debt Solutions has extensive experience of court process in Scotland, and can help you deal with a Simple Procedure Notice of Claim. Call one of our experts to arrange a free same-day meeting at one of five offices around Scotland.

facebook colour icon twitter colour icon linkedin colour icon messenger colour icon whatsapp colour icon email colour icon
Sharon McDougall Square

Sharon McDougall


Other Articles

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed? Can I Borrow Money

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed?

Borrowing money when you’re already deeply in debt requires careful consideration, and consultation with your trustee, as there are various factors associated with further borrowing in this situatio...

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed Guide to get a mortgage

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed

If you’re about to be discharged from a Trust Deed, you may be wondering to what extent your ability to obtain a mortgage has been affected.

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland? Court Order

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland?

If you’ve lost your job, state benefits and tax credits can provide vital financial support to see you through this tough time and help you avoid taking on too much debt while you look for more work...


Why Choose Us

Usp Discussion

Speak Direct With

A Qualified Adviser


We Don't Operate

Call Centres

Usp Location

5 Offices in Scotland

National Coverage

Usp House

Ask us About

Home Visits

Usp Award

Fully Regulated Advisors

From a Reputable Firm

Usp Hand Heart

Helping Scots Get

Out of Debt Since 1989

We'll give you a call

Our Scottish based team can help advise you on your debt problems.

Here at Scotland Debt Solutions we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See our Privacy Policy.


Useful Tools

Personalised Debt Report
Usp Planner

Personalised Debt Report

Our personalised debt report will help you better understand your financial position and see where your money is going.

Debt Report
Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Arrange a call with an expert advisor at a time to suit you or contact our team via WhatsApp for immediate help and advice.

Arrange Callback
Find a Local Office
Usp Signpost

Find a Local Office

We have five offices located across Scotland. Find your nearest one here.

Find an Office


We can help you with...



Sequestration is the Scottish version of bankruptcy and may be suitable for you if you do not have the money to pay back your debts

Find out More
Trust Deeds in Scotland

Trust Deeds in Scotland

A Trust Deed involves making a monthly contribution to your debts for up to four years. After this time any remaining debt included in the Trust Deed will not need to be paid.

Find out More
Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

A Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) lets you pay off your debt through a series of manageable instalments over a reasonable length of time.

Find out More
Business Debts
Icon Briefcase

Business Debts

Whether you are a sole trader or a limited company director, we can help you work through your current financial problems including money owed to HMRC

Business Debts

Our Insolvency Practitioners are regulated by ICAS or the IPA and our firm is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Fees and Information: There are fees associated with our services. These will be fully explained before entering into any of the personal debt solutions referred to on this website. Full details of our fees and how these are charged are fully explained to you prior to you committing to any particular service.

ICAS Insolvency Practitioners