Check If You Qualify

How to claim tax back when working from home

Sharon McDougall - Updated - 16th May 2024 - 2 minutes to read

How to claim tax from HMRC for Working From Home in three simple ways?

With so many firms having to close their premises due to coronavirus, the number of people working from home has dramatically increased. If your employer has told you to work from home, whether full time or part time, you can claim a tax rebate for home working expenses. This particular tax rebate doesn’t apply if you’ve chosen to work from home, however.

HMRC has recognised the disruption caused to businesses by coronavirus, and that staffing rotas and requirements frequently change at short notice, which is why you’re eligible to claim even if you only work from home for one day.

It’s not widely known that employed workers can claim tax back in this way when they have to work from home, but you can make a claim in various ways – from your employer, directly from HMRC, or via a self-assessment tax return as an employee.

Scotland Debt Calculator

Get a rough indication of what your repayments might be under each of our different debt solutions.

Your Total Debt

£0 - £5,000

£5,000 - £10,000

£10,000 - £20,000


Your Employment Status

I am employed

I am self-employed

I am unemployed

I am a student

I am retired

Your Total Monthly Income

£0 - £1,000

£1,000 - £2,000

£2,000 - £3,000


What can you pay monthly towards your debt?

£0 - £100

£100 - £200

£200 - £300


How to claim tax back for home working?

Working from home typically incurs extra costs, such as heat and light, work-related phone calls, or printer ink/paper. You can claim £6 a week for these types of expenses as of April 2020 without having to provide evidence of the costs.

If you claim more than £6 per week, HMRC may request to view the relevant invoices or bills to support the claim, so you’ll need to make sure you have them. The tax relief is based on your tax band, so if you’re a basic rate taxpayer (20%) and claimed £6 per week your tax rebate would be £1.20 per week. Higher rate taxpayers (40%) would receive a £2.40 per week rebate.

How to claim your tax rebate when you work from home?

  • You can ask your employer to pay £6 per week tax free to cover the costs of enforced working from home. Your employer isn’t obliged to do so, however, and as businesses are currently struggling due to the pandemic you may decide to make a claim directly from HMRC.
  • HMRC microservice – HMRC has set up a new microservice for claiming tax back in this way. You’ll need a Government Gateway User ID and password to make a claim, and if the claim is successful the tax relief will be applied via your tax code. This means less tax will be deducted from your earnings each month.
  • Self-assessment tax return – if you’re employed but submit a self-assessment tax return, you can claim back tax for working at home as an employee via your tax return.

If you want to use the Government Gateway service but don’t yet have an ID, you can set one up before you claim.

Does this tax rebate apply to self-employed workers?

If you’re self-employed you can claim your work from home expenses as usual through self-assessment. This is a different scheme than the one mentioned above, however, and you won’t be able to claim under the new HMRC microservice unless you’re employed.

As a sole trader you can claim a proportion of your work-related expenses either as a flat rate, which depends on the number of hours you work from home, or as a claim that itemises your expenses. The second option would involve providing reasonable estimates and detailed calculations to HMRC.

If you would like further information on claiming tax back when working from home, Scotland Debt Solutions can help. We’ll let you know whether you’re eligible to make a claim as an employee, and provide reliable, clear advice. Please contact one of the team for a free consultation – we operate offices around the country.

facebook colour icon twitter colour icon linkedin colour icon messenger colour icon whatsapp colour icon email colour icon
Sharon McDougall Square

Sharon McDougall


Other Articles

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed? Can I Borrow Money

Can I borrow money whilst I’m in a Trust Deed?

Borrowing money when you’re already deeply in debt requires careful consideration, and consultation with your trustee, as there are various factors associated with further borrowing in this situatio...

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed Guide to get a mortgage

Your guide to getting a mortgage after a Trust Deed

If you’re about to be discharged from a Trust Deed, you may be wondering to what extent your ability to obtain a mortgage has been affected.

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland? Court Order

What is an inhibition court order in Scotland?

If you’ve lost your job, state benefits and tax credits can provide vital financial support to see you through this tough time and help you avoid taking on too much debt while you look for more work...


Why Choose Us

Usp Discussion

Speak Direct With

A Qualified Adviser


We Don't Operate

Call Centres

Usp Location

5 Offices in Scotland

National Coverage

Usp House

Ask us About

Home Visits

Usp Award

Fully Regulated Advisors

From a Reputable Firm

Usp Hand Heart

Helping Scots Get

Out of Debt Since 1989

We'll give you a call

Our Scottish based team can help advise you on your debt problems.

Here at Scotland Debt Solutions we take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to contact you with regards to your enquiry. We will not use your information for marketing purposes. See our Privacy Policy.


Useful Tools

Personalised Debt Report
Usp Planner

Personalised Debt Report

Our personalised debt report will help you better understand your financial position and see where your money is going.

Debt Report
Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Instant Scheduled Call & WhatsApp

Arrange a call with an expert advisor at a time to suit you or contact our team via WhatsApp for immediate help and advice.

Arrange Callback
Find a Local Office
Usp Signpost

Find a Local Office

We have five offices located across Scotland. Find your nearest one here.

Find an Office


We can help you with...



Sequestration is the Scottish version of bankruptcy and may be suitable for you if you do not have the money to pay back your debts

Find out More
Trust Deeds in Scotland

Trust Deeds in Scotland

A Trust Deed involves making a monthly contribution to your debts for up to four years. After this time any remaining debt included in the Trust Deed will not need to be paid.

Find out More
Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS)

A Debt Arrangement Scheme (DAS) lets you pay off your debt through a series of manageable instalments over a reasonable length of time.

Find out More
Business Debts
Icon Briefcase

Business Debts

Whether you are a sole trader or a limited company director, we can help you work through your current financial problems including money owed to HMRC

Business Debts

Our Insolvency Practitioners are regulated by ICAS or the IPA and our firm is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

Fees and Information: There are fees associated with our services. These will be fully explained before entering into any of the personal debt solutions referred to on this website. Full details of our fees and how these are charged are fully explained to you prior to you committing to any particular service.

ICAS Insolvency Practitioners